FAQ for New APP Students
|AUIS Levels||TOEFL ITP||TOEFL iBT||IELTS|
|Foundations of English||320-399||0-26||0-4|
|Level 4||Placed by passing APP Level 3||Placed by passing APP Level 3||Placed by passing APP Level 3|
*must receive at least a 15 in each section
Where do I sign up for the iBT TOEFL?
The AUIS testing center, on the 3rd floor in building A, is where you can find all information about the iBT TOEFL. They will allow you to sign up for upcoming exams.
What is Moodle?
Moodle is an internet learning platform that our APP teachers use. Your grades, homework and information is all posted on moodle for you to view anywhere and at all time.
What is SONIS?
SONIS is the AUIS database that allows you to registrar for classes, view your schedule, and view your final grades from the semester.
Can I change my class?
- Current APP students will be able to register and select their own courses on TopSchool. After registration closes on your day, you cannot change your classes. If you decide you do not like your schedule, you will have to wait until next semester to pick a new one. Please choose wisely!
- You need to register for 2 classes: a reading class and a writing class. If you are in Level 3 or 4, you need to register for math class, as well.
- You need to use a computer or laptop to register on TopSchool. Registration will NOT work from a smart phone or iPad. The APP computer labs will be open on registration days if you do not have access to a computer at home.
- You can only register on the dates assigned to you . Those dates will be emailed to all students.
- To be eligible for online registration, all tuition and fees must be paid to the AUIS Finance Department prior to enrolling. No exceptions can be made.
- If you miss all the registration dates, you must visit our office to be manually enrolled in classes. In this case, you will not be allowed to choose/change your schedule, and you may miss your first day of classes.
What is the best way to pass my classes?
All exams, homework, quizzes, and essays count in your final grade. You pass your classes by receiving a 70 in both classes in order to pass the level. (See the Policy section for passing requirements.) Studying and doing all assigned work is the best way to pass APP classes.
I am failing. Should I withdraw?
Students who withdraw after the first week of class will have that level counted as a fail. Therefore, there is no benefit for a student to withdraw after the semester starts. We recommend all students stay until the end of the semester, work as hard as they can, and take their final exams.
How do I print my papers for a class?
Students must pay $0.10 (ten cents) per page to print their papers. They can print in any computer lab on campus. Students can buy credit for their account by going to the bookstore on the ground floor of Building B.
Where do I make copies?
Students can make photocopies in the bookstore on the ground floor of Building B.
Where do I buy my textbooks?
Students are required to buy their textbooks for APP courses by the second day of the semester. They are available in the bookstore on the ground floor of Building B.
My name is spelled wrong on my student ID. How do I have my ID changed?
Students need to go to the AUIS Registrar’s office on the ground floor of Building A to have their AUIS IDs changed or replaced.
How long are APP classes?
- APP students have at least 2 classes per day. English classes last 2 hours and 30 minutes. Students in Levels 3 and 4 also have math class for two hours, two days a week.
- All levels have classes on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Thursdays are reserved for testing.
Why do my teachers give me so much homework? I don’t have time to finish everything.
APP students can expect to have an average of two hours of homework per night across all classes. Increased homework load may be a result of procrastination or difficulty comprehending objectives. Students having trouble understanding or completing their work should seek extra help during teacher office hours.
How do I join a club?
Every student may participate in student organizations at AUIS. If a student is interested in one of the many organizations on campus, they should contact the club's advisor or student representative, or visit the Student Services Coordinator, Ms. Mina Bassam, in A-B1-38 for more information.
Where do I get a parking pass?
Please see Dr. Aso for a parking pass. The cost is $25.
How do I get a locker at AUIS?
Lockers are assigned by the Director of Student Services. Students must submit a $50 deposit to Finance for the locker. The student must have a receipt for the deposit in order to sign up for a locker. The deposit will be returned when the student returns both the key and the lock, undamaged, to the Director of Student Services.
Can I get a job here at AUIS?
Actively enrolled AUIS undergraduates and APP students are eligible for student work positions. The Office of Career Services posts regular updates about job openings for students at AUIS. For updates, check your email and the Jobs and Internships Message Board in the cafeteria, or visit the Career Services office in A-B1-37 to learn more about available positions.
Why do I have to speak only English?
We have found that students advance and learn English more when they only speak English. Therefore students are required to speak only English in the classroom- no languages other than English are allowed in the classroom.
What if I am sick? What if I am late? What if I have a note from my doctor or the hospital?
All students are allowed to have 8.5 absences in their English classes and 5.5 absences in their math classes. At 9 absences in English or 6 absences in math, students fail the level and then must repeat. Students should talk to their teachers before or after they miss a class, in order to make up the material that they missed.
These absences are given specifically for illnesses and unforeseen personal issues. No exceptions will be made to the attendance policy.
How much do I owe? I am having financial issues. Who do I talk to?
Admissions will review all students’ financial contracts before they come to AUIS. Students should meet with admissions before the semester begins if they have questions or problems about their tuition bill.
Once the semester starts, students should go see Finance on the ground floor of Building A about their tuition bill if they have more questions or problems.
I am having problems accessing Topschool. How do I get my Topschool username and password?
Students should contact the APP Registrar in B-F2-37a regarding questions about Topschool.
Why can’t I see my final grades on Topschool?
All final grades are reported on Topschool. Students who can log on but cannot see their grades need to speak with Finance. This means that there is a financial hold on the account. Students must pay their bill to remove this hold and receive their grades.