IRIS is currently seeking a Policy Researcher with a background in social science, economics or IR who will execute donor-funded IRIS projects and contribute to the writing/oversight of research outputs. The duration of the position is six months starting from August 15, 2021 – renewable based on performance and availability of funding.
- Contributes to and/or leads the conceptualization, research, writing, and editing of IRIS reports.
- Coordinates the budgetary aspects of donor-funded research projects.
- Participates in research project management, planning, design, briefings, fieldwork, and reporting.
- Writes high quality research products, such as commentaries, policy briefs and reports.
- Supports other research projects as part of a team in a collaborative manner.
- Helps the IRIS team in organizing the annual Sulaimani Forum and other research dissemination events.
- Contributes to the pursuit of funding opportunities and composition of relevant research grants.
- Contributes to the mentorship of AUIS students.
- An M.A. or Ph.D. in a relevant field (e.g., social sciences, economics, international relations), with a specialization in Iraq and/or the Middle East region.
- Minimum 2 years of experience working in a policy-oriented research setting.
- Written and spoken fluency in Arabic and English are required. Kurdish and other regional languages are a plus.
- Proven experience in conducting field research in the Middle East region, preferably with Iraq experience and network.
- A strong record of publication in relevant policy and academic journals.
- Leadership and management experience in a non-profit organization, NGO, or university.
- Willingness to live and work in Sulaymaniyah, Iraq.
Reporting & Oversight
The Policy Researcher will work report IRIS Executive Director and the Research Director. She/he will work closely with other IRIS members, external partners, funders, and stakeholders.
The Researcher is expected to reside in Sulaymaniyah, Iraq in housing designated for AUIS and IRIS staff. The position may start as early as August 15, 2021. Iraqi nationals are preferred, but all applications will be considered.
Send a CV/resume, cover letter, and single-authored writing sample to [email protected] by August 1, 2021. Applications accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.