Dr. Mohammed Abdulghafour was granted the Ph.D. in electrical and computer engineering from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, U.S.A., in 1992. He has gained a wide range of experience. This experience includes teaching various Computer Engineering and Computer Science courses, working with students under his supervision on several research projects, organizing workshops and conferences, and engaging in several departmental and college administrative activities. His administrative experience includes the positions of chairman of Communications Division in The Syria Petroleum Company, Dean of The College of Engineering at the University of Kalamoon in Syria, and the Assistant Dean position of the School of Engineering and Computing Sciences at New York Institute of Technology (NYIT) – Vancouver Site. During his work at NYIT (Bahrain, Nanjing, and Vancouver), Dr. Abdulghafour led the School of Engineering and Computing Sciences for all the administrative duties, and he taught several graduate and undergraduate courses. Dr. Abdulghafour has published many articles in highly respected International conferences and Journals.
On January 1, 2018, Dr. Abdulghafour accepted a faculty position at the rank of Associated Professor in the Department of Information Technology at The American University of Iraq, Sulaimani.
Dr. Abdulghafour’s areas of interest include Cryptography and Operating System Security, Wed-based Multimedia, Computer Vision, Robotics and Intelligent Machines, Computer Graphics, Computer Architecture, Digital Communications, Parallel Processing, Virtual Reality, Artificial Intelligence (AI), IT, Fuzzy Logic, Genetic Algorithms, DSP, Remote Sensing (Sensor Data Fusion), and VLSI.
Selected Refereed Publications
- Abdul Razaque, M. Abdulghafour, and Meer Khan, Detection of Selfish Attack over Wireless Body Area Networks, The IEEE International Conference on Open Systems, Miri, Sawarak, Malaysia, November 13- 14, 2017 (Published and was chosen the best paper award of IEEE – Malaysia chapter).
- Abdul Razaque, M. Abdulghafour, and Meer Jaro Khan, Intelligent Buffer Mechanism for Wireless Mesh Networks based on IEEE 802.11, The Global Summit on Computer & Information Technology, Sousse, Tunisia, 01-02 July, 2017 .
- M. Abdulghafour and Abdul Razaque, IEEE 802.11 Control Frame Protection during Hand off Process, The 4th International Conference on Automation, Control Engineering and Computer Science, Tangier, Morocco, March 28 – 31, 2017.
- Yuechen Luo, Rui Xia, and M. Abdulghafour, Offline Chinese Handwriting Character Recognition through Extracting and Mapping Features to an Undirected Graphical Representation, The 13th IEEE International Conference on Computer Graphics, Imaging, and Visualization (CGiV), pp. 394-398, Beni Millal, Morocco, 29 March – 1 April, 2016.
- Xining Wang, Yu Cai, and M. Abdulghafour, A Comprehensive Assessment of Block Extracting Based on HMM for Face Recognition, The 11th IEEE International Conference on Innovations in Information Technology (IIT'15), Vo.1, pp. 302-307, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 1 – 3 November 2015.
- Zhiyuan Chen, Yutong Zhang, and M. Abdulghafour, Wavelet Package Based Thresholding Methods for Speech Enhancement: A Review, The International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering, Vol. 5, Issue 6, pp. 469-474, ISSN 2250-2459, June 2015.
- M. Abdulghafour, Integration of Technology in The Learning Outcomes: A case Study, The International Conference on Technology in Higher Education, Marrakech, Morocco, 14-17 June 2015.
- O. Wakil and M. Abdulghafour, BGP Next Hop Selection Optimization Using Link Performance Attributes, Mosharaka International Conference on Communications, Networking and Information Technology, Dubai, UAE: 16-18 December 2011.
- M. Abdulghafour and Z. Farhood, Investigation on Model Selection Criteria for Speaker Identification, International Symposium on Information Technology 2010 (ITSim 2010), Kuala Lumpur, Maylaysia.
- M. Abdulghafour, A Statistical Approach to Character Recognition Using Embarrassingly Parallel Computations, The Int. Journal of Computers, Electronics, and Information Sciences, Vol. 10/1, pp. 115-123, 2005.
- M. Abdulghafour and B. Arafeh, Approximate Reasoning-Based Sensor Fusion: A Real Case Study, The 1st IEEE International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies: From Theory to Applications (ICCTA’ 04), Damascus, Syria, April 19 – April 23, 2004.
- M. Abdulghafour, Image Segmentation Using Genetic Algorithms and Fuzzy Logic, the International Journal of Winter School of Computer graphics ( WSCG) Vol. 11. No 1-3, ISSN 1213-6972, 2003.
- M. Abdulghafour and M. El-Gamal, Fault Isolation in Analog Circuits Using A Fuzzy Inference System, The International Journal of Computers & Electrical Engineering, Vol. 29/1 pp. 213-229, 2002.
- M. Abdulghafour and A. Fellah, A Hybrid Approach of Genetic Algorithms and Fuzzy Logic Applied to Feature Extraction from Multisensory Images, The 1997 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol. 1, pp. 199-204, Orlando, Florida, USA, October 1997.
- M. Abdulghafour and M. A. El-Gamal, A Fuzzy Logic System for Analog Fault Diagnosis, The 1996 IEEE International Conference on Circuits and Systems,Vol. 1, pp. 97-100, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, May 1996.
- M. Abdulghafour, and A. Fellah, On Efficient Simulations of Some Synchronous Parallel Machines, Proceedings of the World Automation Congress (WAC '96), Intelligent Automation and Control, Vol. 4, pp. 211-216, TSI Press Series, Albuquerque, NM, USA, 1996.
- A.M. El-Said, M.A. El-Gamal, and M. Abdulghafour, A Constraint Satisfaction Approach for RNA Structure Prediction, Proceedings of the World Automation Congress (WAC '96), Soft Computing With Industrial Applications, Vol. 5, pp. 189-196, TSI Press Series, Albuquerque, NM, USA, 1996.
- M. Abdulghafour, A. Fellah, and M. A. Abidi, Fuzzy Logic-Based Data Integration: Theory and Applications, The IEEE's International Conference on Multisensor Fusion and Integration for Intelligent Systems, Vol. 1, pp. 151-160, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, October 1994.
- M. A. Abidi, M. Abdulghafour, and T. Chandra, Fusion of Visual and Range Features Using Fuzzy Logic, The Journal of Control and Engineering Practice, Pergamon Publishing Company, Vol. 2, No. 5, pp. 833-847, 1994.[An invited paper]
- M. Abdulghafour and M. A. Abidi, Data Fusion through Non-Deterministic Approaches - A Comparison, The SPIE's International Symposium on Optical Tools for Manufacturing and Advanced Automation, Vol. 2059 Sensor Fusion VI, pp. 37-53, Boston, MA, USA, September 1993.
- M. Abdulghafour, T. Chandra, M. A. Abidi, Data Fusion Through Fuzzy Logic Applied to Feature Extraction from Multi-Sensory Images, The IEEE's International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Vol. 2, pp. 359-366, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, May 1993. [An invited paper]
- M. Abdulghafour, T. Chandra, M. A. Abidi, Data Fusion Through Fuzzy Reasoning Applied to Segmentation of Multi-Sensory Images, SPIE's 1992 International Symposium on Neural and Stochastic Methods in Image and Signal Processing, Vol. 1766, pp. 370-379, San Diego, CA, USA, July 1992.
- M. Abdulghafour, J. Goddard, and M.A. Abidi, Non-deterministic Approaches for Data Fusion: A Review, SPIE's 1990 International Conference on Sensor Fusion III: 3-D Perception and Recognition, Vol. 1383, pp. 596-610, Boston, MA, USA, November 1990.