The Institute of Regional and International Studies (IRIS) is a policy research center based in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq at the American University of Iraq, Sulaimani (AUIS). Through multidisciplinary research, training programs, and dialogue events among experts and influential public leaders, IRIS addresses the most complex issues facing Iraq and the Middle East. The Sulaimani Forum is the flagship event of the Institute on an annual basis. Televised across the Middle East, the Forum convenes over 500 high-level officials, corporate leaders, and experts to discuss the most pressing issues facing Iraq and the Middle East region. The Forum provides an annual opportunity to bring together the main stakeholders in regional affairs for strategic policy conversations, with the aim of generating blueprints for transformative and lasting change. IRIS is currently searching for a Sulaimani Forum Coordinator that will oversee the preparation and execution of the event. The position will report to the Director of IRIS. As the event impacts every level of the University, the Coordinator will also collaborate closely with the Office of the AUIS President, all VPs and deans, and all department heads.
- Bachelor degree in business administration or a related field;
- Proven experience in event planning and/or program management;
- Familiarity and knowledge of social, political, and economic conditions in Iraq;
- Outstanding communication skills, with experience interacting with high-level business and political figures;
- Knowledge of political protocol customs in Iraq and the Kurdistan region;
- Excellent organizational skills with a high attention to detail;
- Able to commit to a demanding work schedule, particularly during January – March 2020;
- Able to remain calm and professional under pressure;
- Computer savvy with intermediate design skills;
- Written and spoken fluency in English, Kurdish, and Arabic.
- Oversee the funding, organization, and execution of the Sulaimani Forum 2020 from start to finish in collaboration with the IRIS staff;
- Identify and secure event sponsors;
- Manage invitations and RSVPs for over 500 guests;
- Coordinate the Sulaimani Forum organizing team, which includes members from the Facilities Management, IT, Communications, and Security departments;
- Ensure adherence to the forum budget;
- Source and negotiate with vendors and suppliers;
- Coordinate guest travel logistics, including flights, transportation, and accommodation;
- Identify duties of the AUIS staff volunteers;
- Ensure compliance with sponsor/funder expectations.
How to Apply
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and the position will be open until filled. Applicants should submit the following attachments in English via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Sulaimani Forum Program Manager” in the header:
- Cover letter in English explaining your qualifications and interest in this position (1 page maximum)
- Resume or CV (2 pages maximum)
- The names and contact information of three references
No telephone calls please. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for a follow-up interview. AUIS is an Affirmative Action / Equal Employment Opportunity employer that believes cultural diversity is essential to education.
Founded in 2007 for the public benefit of all Iraq, AUIS is an independent, non-profit, coeducational, English-speaking liberal arts college in the secure cultural capital of the Kurdish region in Iraq. In 2011 AUIS moved to its new 400-acre marble-and-glass campus overlooking historic Sulaimani, a thriving economic center of more than 1 million. The campus has 50 classrooms, high-tech computer labs, an expansive library, auditoriums, dining facilities, and sports courts and fields. Its 1,400 students are taught in English by faculty members from 19 countries, with more than 40% of its full-time faculty from the United States and 30% from Iraq. The University’s acclaimed foundation program is the only such program in Iraq to receive U.S. accreditation (CEA). AUIS graduates have continued their studies at leading universities in the United States and Europe. More information is available at www.auis.edu.krd