The Department of Student Services at the American University in Iraq, Sulaimani invites applications for the position of Director of Student Services. Applications will be accepted until this position is filled. The projected starting date is January 2018.
The successful candidate for the position will have:
- A Masters in Higher Education, International Relations or related field at the time of appointment.
- Experience in administering Residence Life Programs and on-campus housing
- Previous experience working in a multicultural environment; previous experience living/working in the Middle East is strongly preferred
- Experience organizing Student Life activities including, but not limited to, athletics, clubs, events, and student trips.
- Strong cross-cultural communication skills. Demonstrated background in conflict mediation is strongly preferred.
- A clear demonstrated understanding of professional development skills, university study abroad experience, and graduate school advising
- Experience with grant application/management; familiarity with Department of State grant reporting requirements preferred
- Arabic or Sorani Language proficiency preferred
- Solid administrative skills, proven budget management experience required
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills in English.
Applicants who speak more than one language, and who have lived in more than one country, are preferred. The Department is also interested in applicants willing to participate in extracurricular activities.
The Department of Student Services at AUIS assists students with both academic and non-academic support services. The department offers academic success counseling, residence life and on-campus housing services, athletics and student life programs, career counseling, study abroad services, and graduate school advising. The Director will lead a 3 person team and manage over 11 student workers while overseeing the university’s student work study program.
The competitive compensation package for this position includes base salary, subsidized housing, airfare for personal leave, subsidized health insurance, professional memberships, conference attendance expenses, a generous holiday and leave policy, a start-up grant for research, and other elements.
Now celebrating its tenth year, AUIS is a private, not-for-profit liberal arts college in the scenic cultural capital of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. The University is educating a new generation of bright, motivated young men and women dedicated to critical thinking, acceptance of conflicting beliefs, and community involvement. Its 1,600 students are taught in English by faculty members from 15 countries, with more than half of the faculty from the United States. The University’s acclaimed foundation program is the first in Iraq to receive U.S. accreditation. AUIS graduates have continued their studies at leading universities in the United States and Europe that include Harvard, Columbia, Tufts and Johns Hopkins.
Applicants should submit the following requirements via email to email@example.com:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to provide contact information for three academic and professional references.
No telephone calls please. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for a follow-up interview. AUIS is an Affirmative Action / Equal Employment Opportunity employer that believes cultural diversity is essential to education.