The American University of Iraq, Sulaimani admits students that have demonstrated academic excellence in high school and possess at least a baseline level of English ability.
Minimum AUIS admissions criteria are transparent; no student that does not meet public criteria are admitted to the University. Criteria is outlined in the annual Admissions Guide. Each spring academic term, AUIS will publish the full results of the admissions cycle.
AUIS bases its admissions results on three criteria:
1. Complete submission of all application materials and test scores before publicly announced deadlines
2. Enforcement of Iraq or KRG Baccalaureate score standards set by Admissions Office and Ministry of Higher Education, Kurdistan Region, Iraq
- Including scores equalized from foreign educations systems into the Iraqi system via the Ministry of Education General Directorate of Exams in Erbil.
- Baccalaureate score baseline standard is determined in advance by the AUIS Admissions Office and approved by AUIS President as part of overall enrollment plan; exact Baccalaureate cut-offs may vary by admissions round, depending on competitiveness of application pool.
- Baseline standards for individual academic programs are set by the Ministry of Higher Education, KRG, Iraq and enforced by AUIS.
3. Standardized testing of English ability
- TOEFL Institutional Testing Program (ITP) – started in 2013. English test that measures reading, speaking and listening. English test score standard is determined in advance by the AUIS Admissions Office in collaboration with the Academic Preparatory Program.
- Prior to 2013, AUIS relied on the AUIS English Placement Test, an internal institutional test created by the Academic Preparatory Program (APP).
Below are full lists of all students enrolled during an entire academic year (enrollments meaning applicants that were accepted and then signed official AUIS enrollment contracts; assigned student ID number; gaps in ID numbers indicate an issued but un-signed contract) Each list contains:
- Admissions Status ("Prospect Status" in AUIS records - all "Enrolled" - meaning an accepted applicant signed an official enrollment contract before beginning of academic term)
- Student Number (Student ID number assigned at point of enrollment)
- Enrollment Status ("Student Status" in AUIS records - AUIS enrollment status as of May 21, 2014)
- Year of Graduation (Year of completion of high school, Baccalaureate)
- KRG or Iraq Baccalaureate Test ID (ID number assigned for Baccalaureate exam) or reference number of equalization letter (both Ministry of Education records)
- Baccalaureate Grade in Percentage (Final average based on score out of 700 points, including bonus points)
- English placement level (listed as APP level, not as TOEFL ITP score)
Please Note: Students enrolled at AUIS may have left AUIS since admission. Students listed as "Active" are actively enrolled at AUIS as of May 21, 2014. Students listed as "Inactive" are no longer students at AUIS as of May 21, 2014.
2013-2014 Admissions Results
2013-2014 Newly Enrolled Students (PDF)
399 enrollment contracts signed (353 actively enrolled at AUIS as of May 21, 2014)
- Maximum: 98%
- Average: 84.5%
- Minimum: 69.5%
TOEFL ITP (counting only first-attempt scores)
- Maximum: 677
- Average: 421
- Minimum (Passing Baseline): 380
2012-2013 Admissions Results
2012-2013 Newly Enrolled Students (PDF)
381 enrollment contracts signed (288 actively enrolled as of May 21, 2014)
- Maximum: 96.00%
- Average: 80.10%
- Minimum: 62.00%
AUIS English Placement Test (assigned only to APP Levels – no direct TOEFL ITP equivalents
- Maximum: n/a
- Average: Level 1.97 (Approximately to Level 2 proficiency, approximately 450 TOEFL PBT)
- Minimum: n/a