The American University of Iraq, Sulaimani invites applications for full-time staff position in the Student Services department. Projected starting date is February 2018.
The successful candidate for the position will have:
- Master’s degree from a CACREP-accredited program or equivalent
- Proactive attitude and willingness to perform in dynamic environment
- Demonstrated strong commitment to Western-style liberal arts education
- Experience in supporting students dealing with learning disabilities and anxiety
- Experience with the design and implementation of Individual Education Plans
- Native or near native fluency in spoken and written English
- Experience working with populations and students for whom English is not a native language
Applicants who speak more than one language, and who have lived in more than one country, are preferred.
The primary responsibilities include:
- Supporting the professional, academic, and emotional development of students, alumni, and staff members
- Providing counselling and pyschoeducation to university students on personal, social, educational, professional, and multicultural concerns
- Acting as a liaison with faculty, staff, and students in creating and facilitating various self-help groups
- Collecting and analysing data on services provided
Additional responsibilities include providing up to 3 sessions of counselling and then referral to outside resources if students are under extreme duress, and contributing to an annual Career Fair for students as well as other career-oriented activities.
The competitive compensation package for this position includes base salary, subsidized housing, airfare for personal leave, subsidized health insurance, professional memberships, conference attendance expenses, a generous holiday and leave policy, a start-up grant for research, and other elements.
Now celebrating its tenth year, AUIS is a private, not-for-profit liberal arts college in the scenic cultural capital of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. The University is educating a new generation of bright, motivated young men and women dedicated to critical thinking, acceptance of conflicting beliefs, and community involvement. Its 1,600 students are taught in English by faculty members from 15 countries, with more than half of the faculty from the United States. The University’s acclaimed foundation program is the first in Iraq to receive U.S. accreditation. AUIS graduates have continued their studies at leading universities in the United States and Europe that include Harvard, Columbia, Tufts and Johns Hopkins.
Applications will be accepted until this position is filled. Applicants may begin work either Spring 2018 or Fall 2018, and should indicate in their application the term for which they are applying.
Applicants should submit the following requirements via email, with “University Counselor Position” in the subject line, to email@example.com:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to provide contact information for three academic and professional references. No telephone calls please. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for a follow-up interview. AUIS is an Affirmative Action / Equal Employment Opportunity employer that believes cultural diversity is essential to education.