The Department of Mathematics and Natural Sciences at the American University in Iraq, Sulaimani invites applications for the position of Assistant/Associate Professor of Physics.
The successful candidate for the position will have:
- A Ph.D. at the time of appointment in physics or a related field such as mechanical, aeronautical or electrical engineering, geophysics, or cosmology.
- At least three years of combined experience in teaching at the postsecondary level and working in relevant industry positions.
- Evidence of excellent teaching skills, including the ability to teach diverse populations and students for whom English is not their native language.
- Evidence of curriculum development experience.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills in English.
Applicants who speak more than one language, and who have lived in more than one country, are preferred. The Department is also interested in applicants willing to participate in activities related to Department accreditation, and in the development of new courses of study relevant to the region.
The Department of Mathematics and Natural Sciences at AUIS offers a Medical Laboratory Science program and a wide range of University Core Courses and electives in mathematics, chemistry, physics, biology, and related disciplines. Our curricula are supported by state-of-the-art classrooms, labs and facilities, experienced and dedicated faculty, and solid links with the academic and business community outside the University. AUIS graduates are highly sought-after by regional and international employers.
The competitive compensation package for this position includes base salary, subsidized housing, airfare for personal leave, subsidized health insurance, professional memberships, conference attendance expenses, a generous holiday and leave policy, a start-up grant for research, and other elements.
Now celebrating its tenth year, AUIS is a private, not-for-profit liberal arts college in the scenic cultural capital of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. The University is educating a new generation of bright, motivated young men and women dedicated to critical thinking, acceptance of conflicting beliefs, and community involvement. Its 1,600 students are taught in English by faculty members from 15 countries, with more than half of the faculty from the United States. The University’s acclaimed foundation program is the first in Iraq to receive U.S. accreditation. AUIS graduates have continued their studies at leading universities in the United States and Europe that include Harvard, Columbia, Tufts and Johns Hopkins.
Applications will be accepted until this position is filled. Applicants may begin work either Spring 2018 or Fall 2018, and should indicate in their application the term for which they are applying.
Applicants should submit the following requirements via email, with “Physics” in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Teaching statement (including teaching philosophy and experience, and concepts for new course development)
- Research and scholarship statement (including academic interests and research collaborations)
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to provide contact information for three academic and professional references.
No telephone calls please. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for a follow-up interview. AUIS is an Affirmative Action / Equal Employment Opportunity employer that believes cultural diversity is essential to education.